Tribal Research and Cultural Institute was established under Tribal Welfare Department in the year 1970 for launching studies on the socio-economic aspect of Tripura tribes beside evaluation of all development schemes taken up for the benefits of the tribes. The broad objectives of the Institute are:
- To conduct fundamental and applied research works on socio economic condition , language, life , culture & heritage of the tribes of Tripura and to guide/suggest different Govt. agencies in formulation of planning and decision making related to the development of the Tribes of Tripura.
- To assist research scholars in conducting research works related to the tribes of Tripura.
- To undertake evaluation work on development schemes taken up for the benefits of the tribes.
- To promote Tribal culture like tribal folk song, folk dance folk music through Tripura State Academy of Tribal Culture affiliated to Tripura University (A Central university).
- To organize fairs and festivals of different tribes of the state to unfold the rich and diverse cultural heritage of the indigenous people of the state and to promote brotherhood and cultural interaction.
- To organize State and National Level Seminar on Tribal life ,culture and language.
- To organize workshop /training related to development of tribal.
- To publish books related to Socio-economic condition, Tradition, life & Culture of the tribes of the State and to reprint the rare and old books related to Tripura.
- To maintain a library in order to facilitate the research scholars on tribal studies.
- To demonstrate tribal heritage, culture, socioeconomic condition, dresses, ornament and every day life through a State Tribal Museum.